Have you ever wanted to draw a snake, but didn’t know where to start? Drawing a cartoon snake is easier than you might think, and with a few simple steps, you’ll be able to create a fun and whimsical character that can be used in a variety of art projects. In this tutorial, we’ll guide you through the process of drawing a cartoon snake from beginning to end.
Before you get started, make sure you have the following materials:
- Markers or colored pencils (optional)
Step 1: Sketch Basic Shapes
Start by drawing a curved line for the snake’s body. Keep in mind that the more curves you add, the more flexible and lifelike the snake will look. Draw a smaller curved line at the end, this will be the tail, and a larger circle at the front for the snake’s head.
- Don’t worry about getting everything perfect on the first try. Sketching lightly will help you make adjustments as you go.
- If you prefer, you can also use a circle template to help you draw a perfect circle for the head.
Step 2: Add Curves to the Body
Once you have the basic shapes, start adding curves to the body. Draw a series of curved lines in between the head and tail. This will give the snake a more organic and natural look.
- When adding curves, remember to vary the size and shape of the curves. This will make the snake look more interesting and dynamic.
- Don’t worry if the curves overlap or cross each other. The more irregular the curves, the more lifelike your cartoon snake will appear.
Step 3: Draw the Eyes and Mouth
Next, add the eyes and mouth. Draw two small circles for the eyes towards the front of the head, and a curved line below for the mouth.
- Experiment with different eye shapes to give your snake character. You can draw circles, ovals, or even triangular eyes if you want to create an angry or aggressive snake.
- Remember, the mouth doesn’t have to be perfectly centered or symmetrical. Adding a bit of asymmetry will give your snake personality.
Step 4: Add Details
- Don’t worry about drawing every scale perfectly. In fact, adding a bit of irregularity will make your snake more interesting and natural looking.
- If you want to create a more complex snake, you can draw different patterns or stripes along the body.
Step 5: Shading
Finally, add some shading to your snake to give it depth and dimension. Shade the edges of the scales, and the areas where the body overlaps or curves inwards.
- Use a light touch when shading. You can always add more shading if needed, but it’s difficult to remove shading once it’s on the paper.
- If you don’t have markers or colored pencils, you can shade with a pencil by varying the pressure while drawing.
Step 6: Color (optional)
If you want, you can also color your cartoon snake using markers or colored pencils. Experiment with different color combinations to create a unique and vibrant character.
- Limit your color palette to a few colors to avoid overwhelming your drawing.
- Think about the environment your snake is in. For example, you can give it green or brown scales if it’s in a forest setting.
In this tutorial, we’ve shown how to draw a cartoon snake in six easy steps. From sketching basic shapes to adding details and shading, you can create a fun and whimsical character that can be used in artwork, animations or even as a mascot. Remember to experiment with different shapes, curves, and colors to give your snake character and personality.
Q1. Can a beginner draw a cartoon snake?
Yes, even beginners can draw a cartoon snake using the simple steps provided in this tutorial.
Q2. What are the benefits of cartoon drawing?
Cartoon drawing is not only fun but can also improve creativity, problem-solving and fine motor skills.
Q3. Can I draw a snake using a pen?
Yes, you can use a pen to draw a snake, but it’s recommended to start with a pencil first to make any necessary adjustments.
Q4. How can I make my snake look angry?
To make your snake look angry, draw triangular or sharp-shaped eyes and add bold lines to the mouth to make it look more aggressive.
Q5. Can I make my cartoon snake look like a specific type of snake?
Yes, research the snake’s characteristics you want to recreate and add the appropriate markings, shapes, and color.
Q6. What can I do with my cartoon snake drawing?
Your cartoon snake drawing can be used in a variety of art projects, animations, or even as a mascot for your business or organization.