If you’re a fan of the manga and anime series Sailor Moon, you’ll enjoy drawing this iconic character. Whether you’re a beginner artist or an experienced one, our guide will help you learn how to draw Sailor Moon easy.
- Pencil (HB or 2B)
- Drawing paper
- Pen (optional)
- Coloring materials (optional)
Step 1: Sketch Basic Shapes
To start, draw a circle for the head and a vertical line in the middle to guide you in determining the face’s center. Sketch body guidelines – two intersecting lines for the neck and shoulders (horizontal) and a line from the center of the head to the crotch area (vertical).
Step 2: Draw Proportional Features
Using the guidelines you drew earlier, draw the features and body. Draw the eyes, nose, and mouth on the head. The eyes should be larger than the nose and mouth. The body should be lean and athletic.
Step 3: Outline your drawing
Once the basic shapes and proportional features are in place, clean up the drawing by outlining it in pen or a dark pencil. This step should not be rushed since it will be the foundation of your final result
Step 4: Add Detailing Features
Add details to your drawing. Use the triangle shapes around the head to sketch the hairstyle. Don’t forget about the accessories like the choker, wristbands, and high boots.
Step 5: Color Your Drawing
This is an optional step for those who want an anime quality look. Use light colors to fill in the bulk of the character’s clothes and accessories.
H3:Tips for Beginners
- Start with basic shapes and light pencil strokes to create the drawing guideline.
- Take your time in analyzing images of Sailor Moon to find inspiration for facial features, body structure, and accessories.
- Outline the basic sketch first before adding details or shading
- Use a photo reference to get the right colors and shading
- Use shading and lighting techniques to make your drawing look more realistic.
H3:Common Mistakes in Drawing Sailor Moon
- Ignoring the drawing guidelines and directly outlining the final character
- Too much focus on details and not proportion
- Full black hairline instead of thin strokes
H3:Frequently Asked Questions About Drawing Sailor Moon
1. What’s the difference between anime Sailor Moon and manga Sailor Moon?
The anime is different from the manga, depending on the version. However, the basic character design is the same.
2. How can I learn to draw anime characters?
Draw the characters in a simple form using references as a guide. The more you practice, the more techniques you will learn to make it detailed.
3. Do I need a lightbox to start drawing Sailor Moon?
You don’t need a lightbox to start drawing Sailor Moon. It is only used to trace or redrawing the sketch for the better version.
4. How long will it take me to learn how to draw Sailor Moon?
The learning process is different for everyone. It depends on your practice and skills, which takes time and patience.
5. What are some easy Sailor Moon poses for beginners?
Simple poses like Sailor Moon’s standing front view and sitting position could be a great way to start for beginners.
6. Should I outline with pen or pencil?
Choosing a pen or pencil outline depends on your preference. You can use them interchangeably or choose one over the other.
Drawing Sailor Moon is a fun and enjoyable experience. With dedication and patience, you will quickly master the techniques to create an anime-quality drawing. Start with a basic sketch and gradually add in the details, then color your final artwork to bring your character to life. Keep in mind these tips, mistakes, and FAQs to improve your skills more.