Aesthetic drawing is the art of drawing beautiful and visually appealing pieces of art. It involves understanding the elements of art such as color, shape, form, texture, space, and value. In this guide, we will teach you the essential steps and techniques to create aesthetic drawings. Whether you’re a beginner or an intermediate artist, this guide is for you. So, let’s get started!
Materials you will need
Before we dive into the drawing process, let’s get some of the essential tools you will need for aesthetic drawing.
- Sketchbook or drawing paper
- Pencils of various hardness: H, HB, B, and 2B
- Blending tools such as a blending stump or q-tip
- Coloring materials such as colored pencils, markers, or watercolors (Optional)
Step 1: Sketching the basic shapes
The first step to creating an aesthetic drawing is to sketch the basic shapes. This step will serve as a framework for your drawing.
- Start with a light sketch of the basic shape of your subject. For example, a circle for the face, rectangular for the body, or triangular for the nose.
- Use light lines without pressing too hard on your pencil. This will make it easier to erase any mistakes later.
- Sketch the basic shapes using simple geometric shapes. This will make it easier to define the proportions and angles in your drawing.
Step 2: Refining the shapes
Once you have the basic shapes, it’s time to refine them further.
- Use a darker pencil to sketch over the light lines of your basic shapes.
- Refine the shapes by adding details and curves.
- Pay attention to the proportions and angles in your drawing.
Step 3: Adding details
This is where you start adding the details to your drawing.
- Add the eyes, nose, mouth, and ears of your subject.
- Add the hair, clothing, or accessories of your subject.
- Pay attention to the lighting in your drawing. This will help you add shadows and highlights to your details.
Step 4: Shading
Shading is a crucial step in creating an aesthetic drawing. It adds depth and dimension to your artwork.
- Use a blending tool to blend the light and dark areas of your drawing.
- Use different shading techniques such as cross-hatching, stippling, and smudging.
- Pay attention to the direction of the light source in your drawing. This will help you determine where the shadows and highlights should go.
Step 5: Adding color (Optional)
Adding color to your drawing is entirely optional but can enhance its aesthetic appeal.
- Choose the colors that complement your drawing.
- Use gradual layering to blend your colors smoothly.
- Pay attention to the color scheme in your drawing. This will help you choose the right colors.
Step 6: Final touches
The final touches of your drawing will give it that extra touch of elegance and polish.
- Erase any unwanted lines or smudges.
- Add any final details that you think need refining.
- Finally, sign and date your artwork!
1. What is the best pencil to use for aesthetic drawing?
HB or 2B is the best pencil hardness to use for aesthetic drawing. They are soft enough to blend and shade smoothly and hard enough not to smudge easily.
2. Is it essential to use an eraser for aesthetic drawing?
Yes, an eraser is essential for aesthetic drawing. It will help you remove unwanted lines or smudges and refine your drawing further.
3. What color scheme should I use for my aesthetic drawing?
The color scheme you use will depend on the mood and theme of your drawing. You can use a monochromatic, complementary, or analogous color scheme.
4. Is aesthetic drawing only for realistic artwork?
No, an aesthetic drawing can be any style of artwork that is visually appealing. It can be realistic, abstract, or a combination of both.
5. Can I create an aesthetic drawing on the computer?
Yes, aesthetic drawing can be created on the computer using digital art software such as Adobe Photoshop or Procreate.
6. How can I improve my shading skills?
You can improve your shading skills by practicing different shading techniques such as cross-hatching, stippling, and smudging. Experiment with different pencil strokes to create different textures and values in your artwork.
Aesthetic drawing is not only about creating visually appealing artwork but also about understanding the elements of art. With practice and patience, you can master the techniques of aesthetic drawing and create beautiful pieces of art. We hope this step-by-step guide has given you the confidence to start your aesthetic drawing journey!