Coraline is a popular animated character from Neil Gaiman’s book. She is a young girl who discovers a mysterious parallel world and must save her family and herself. In this guide, we will cover the step-by-step process of how to draw Coraline, and we promise to make it easy for beginners!
Materials Required for Coraline Drawing
Before we start drawing Coraline, we need to gather all the essential materials. Here’s the list of materials you will require:
- White Paper
- Pencil (preferably HB or 2H)
- Color pencils (optional)
Step-by-Step Guide for Drawing Coraline
Let’s now jump into the step-by-step guide to drawing Coraline:
Step 1: Sketching the Head
Take the pencil and start sketching a circle for the head. Make sure the circle is not perfect but lumpy, as Coraline’s head has many curves.
Step 2: Sketching the Eyes
Coraline has bold black eyes. Add a small circle inside the head’s circle for the eyes. Remember to keep sufficient space between the eyes for the nose.
Step 3: Sketching the Nose
Sketch a horizontal line for the nose. Add two small circles on each side of the horizontal line and connect them with a curve.
Step 4: Sketching the Mouth
Add a small curved line beneath the nose. Continue this line and add a longer curve below to sketch the mouth.
Step 5: Sketching the Bangs
Sketch the hair of Coraline. She has short hair with sharp, uneven bangs. This is the signature look of Coraline.
Step 6: Drawing the Neck
Draw the neck of Coraline. Begin at the bottom of the head and add a small curved line for the neck and connect it to the shoulders.
Step 7: Drawing the Dress
Coraline’s dress is a blue sundress with buttons. Draw the scoop neckline and add the buttons in a vertical line down the center of the dress.
Step 8: Drawing the Arms and Hands
Draw Coraline’s arms and hands. She has small arms and hands. Sketch lines to show her fingers and thumb.
Step 9: Adding Details
Step 10: Color Your Drawing (optional)
If you want some color, use color pencils to fill in the details and give your Coraline character more personality.
Tips and Techniques for Drawing Coraline
- Don’t be afraid to use your eraser if something doesn’t look right. Sketch lightly and use guidelines to create your drawing.
- Coraline’s face is not perfect. So, use lumpy circles, squiggles, and curvy lines to create her features.
- Make sure to draw Coraline’s uneven, sharp bangs to make her look like Coraline.
- Look for reference images before drawing Coraline to get an idea of what she looks like.
FAQs about Coraline Drawing
1. What colors should I use to color Coraline?
You can use blue, yellow, black, and white color pencils to color Coraline.
2. What type of paper should I use for drawing?
You can use any type of white paper to draw Coraline.
3. Can I use a pen or a marker instead of a pencil?
We would recommend starting with a pencil to ensure you can make changes/adjustments with an eraser. Over the pencil, you can use a pen or marker.
4. How long does it take to draw Coraline?
It depends on the person’s drawing speed, but it takes almost 30-40 minutes to draw Coraline.
5. Is Coraline hard to draw?
No, Coraline is not hard to draw, but it would be best to start with basic shapes and add details gradually.
6. Do I need any special skills to draw Coraline?
No, you don’t need any special skills to draw Coraline. Following the steps mentioned above, and patience will help you create your Coraline character.